Saving Money and the Environment: A Win-Win Solution
Sustainability means meeting the needs of the present without compromising future generations and their needs. In business, this means finding more efficient ways of performing day-to-day operating activities with less environmental footprint. What if it can be done without costing more or taking any additional time? Our goal at Edge Insights is to help your organization do the right thing for the environment, have the opportunity to be landfill free, all while saving money.
The benefits of sustainability can be measured across three different dimensions: people, profits, and the planet. This triple bottom line approach becomes the framework for understanding the financial and environmental impact of business decision-making activities.
Sustainability creates business value in the following ways:
- Lowers operational costs- By focusing on improving efficiency, less money will be spent on energy, water, fuel, materials, waste, packaging, transportation, and distribution.
- Increases sales- It is generally favorable among consumers to purchase products from companies willing to put more of an effort in to being ‘green’ and sustainable.
- Improved employee engagement- Organizations with sustainable initiatives attract higher quality employees, which reduces turnover. High quality employees result in higher productivity and engagement. This is the backbone to any successful business.
- Risk reduction- Organizations can reduce the risk of having an accident or receiving fines, which would also reduce the associated risk of bad publicity. Local communities want to know that the organizations they deal with on a day-to-day basis are being environmentally responsible.
See how Edge Insights was able to help a pharmaceutical packaging company become more environmentally friendly by implementing numerous recycling options all while being cost conscious:
- One facility is now completely landfill free. No material that is ever disposed of goes to a landfill. The waste material that is fed into their trash compactor goes to a waste-to-energy facility that helps to power many business and residential facilities. The cost for this option ended up saving the organization 50% for their overall trash and recycling waste streams at one location alone. This amounts to $112,400.00 yearly.
- The organization was baling their cardboard and receiving a rebate for the material. Edge was able to find another outlet for the cardboard material that resulted in this material being handled less by their employees all while providing a higher rebate for this material.
- Edge Insights was able to find a recycling solution for all other materials including scrap metal, plastic pill bottles, outdated material, and wood waste. Some solutions even provide the organization with a rebate.
Edge Insights helps organizations lower their operational costs, but a main focal point is finding a reliable source of savings in the area of waste. We provide a holistic view of all waste streams, evaluating current costs and recycling opportunities, while ensuring future optimization. To find out more about how Edge Insights can add value to your business by lowering your operational costs and improving your sustainability, call us at 610-777-3200.